Thursday, July 28, 2011

EmpoweredSingleMom: The Importance of Understanding your Role as eithe...


Yesterday, I was blessed to receive so many positive affirmations and well-wishes for Mother's Day. But I did receive some that I had to correct. A few people who I know love me wished me both a Happy Mother's Day and a Happy Father's Day in advance. Now this is just my personal feelings but I do not nor will I ever accept Father's Day wishes. Why? Well since I'm all 100% woman that is reason enough but let me explain further for my request to not accept this label.

As a single parent all/majority of the responsibility of caring for your child/children falls upon your shoulders. However, being a single parent is just that one parent, whether you are a single father or a single mother, attempting to play the role of both father and mother is not only impossible but abnormal. As a single mother I am very mindful of doing what I can as a mother and areas where a man is needed I either call my father or accept that right now this area will have to be addressed either when I remarry or Bryce's father steps into the picture.

The thought of confusing my son with thinking that I am capable of filling both roles of mommy and daddy even though God has graced me to be pretty amazing, I cannot do everything by myself. I can never be a man or my son's daddy so with that I am forever and proudly "Mommy." Now, there have been some activities that I use to believe were reserved for daddy but I had to learn to get past and just do, like wrestling, playing catch, or playing cars. But trying to fool myself into thinking that I can take the place of daddy in Bryce's life, clearly would have a disastrous outcome. I always try to explain or live out that I am mommy and somethings I'm unable to do but I do everything within my human ability to ensure that my son does not miss out because he is currently being raised in a single parent home. I also explain that both his mother and father loves him despite living in two different homes and no matter what God takes great care of us always.

No comments:

Post a Comment